Someone hit Price upside the head. Right now.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Seriously.

Can someone tell me why the guy - who only two weeks ago was said to be still too injured to participate in the All Star game - is not only playing tonight and will be in the All Star Game on Sunday but is now also participating in the YoungStars game on Saturday as well? HELLO?! Look, I was in favor of him playing tonight if his ankle is truly okay, but I'm getting the feeling more and more that if there was no All Star thing then he would not be playing tonight or last night and would be sitting at home getting some much needed rest. Even Steve Mason is sitting the YoungStars game out and he would have been a real showstopper.

I understand that it's a once in a lifetime thing to be in the All Star game in your team's home city like this - and add the extra hype with it being in the centennial year, it's pretty big. I get that. But I would much prefer that the Habs rack up a billion more points and have a genuine shot at the Cup in June than have their great goalie be part of the All Star thing. I'm sorry.....If I was Price I would want to be in the All Star thing too. But I'm not Price so I can whine about him potentially getting himself injured again and having to sit out another three weeks or even more. And we all know that that would be awfu. If he gets re-injured or suffers another type of injury, I'm going to cry because we need him back in nets playing the best that he can. Which he obviously can't do if he's hurt.

Again, I get that he wants to play in it. But can I point out that this weekend the Stanley Cup is visiting our wonderful city. If Price goes down with another serious injury that could be the last time this city sees that Cup for this year and that's truly a tragic thought.....

On to the pregame ramble now....
  • The Devils are the winners of four straight games. Habs are the losers of one, the just winners of two others and the losers of a fourth against the Bruins.
  • The Habs still havent been able to beat the Devils this year. Maybe third time is the charm? Worked against the Caps....
  • The Habs need two points and the Habs need to not lose two in a row.....
  • Koivu is supposed to be coming back.
  • No word on who is sitting out tonight.
  • Price is obviously going to be in nets......
  • I will cry if they lose
So I picked up Twilight....

...and before I through the book across the room in disgust I noticed something. The author must be a Roger Federer fan because she describes him in the book. Look:

' "Hello," said a quiet, musical voice.

I looked up, stunned that he was speaking to me. He was sitting as far away from me as the desk allowed, but his chair was angled toward me. His hair was dripping wet, disheveled - even so, he looked like he'd just finished shooting a commercial for hair gel. His dazzling face was friendly, open, a slight smile on his flawless lips. But his eyes were careful.'

And I think there was a mention of the perfect teeth somewhere too. I dunno. I tossed the book out the window. But yeah.... Sounds like Roger to me! Poor Roger.... *g*

Speaking of Roger...
  • He won last night. 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 over Evengy Korolev. And looky at the shots he was making!



    I'm tempted to call him a showoff but I won't. He will now face Marat Safin who beat Guillermo Garica-Lopez. Federer leads 9-2 in his matchups with Safin - including a straight set victory in Wimbledon last year. Safin did win their last meeting in Melbourne though, in the semi finals in 2005, beating Federer in five sets on his way to finals and ultimately taking the title. Somehow I"m getting the feeling that Safin won't be winning here in Australia again...
  • Nole's looking better too, needed just under 2 hours to down Jeremy Chardy of France 7-4, 6-1, 6-3.
  • Roddick, Cilic, Del Potro, Wawrinka and Muller are through to the next round. Delpo and Muller will be facing each other. As much as I like Delpo, I'm still thinking that Muller can win. I liked what I saw from him during the US Open and I think he's one of those guys who really should be higher up in the rankings.....
  • David Nalbandian continues to underachieve and gets knocked out by a Yen-Hsun Lu. Never heard of him either. Actually, I lie. I think this guy beat out Murray in the Olympics. Whatever. Point is.... Nalbandian officially takes over from Alex Kovalev as the most frustrating player in any sport that I watch....And I seriously thought that no one was more frustrating than Kovalev.... Wow....I didn't see the match but from what I hear, while Lu did play well, Nalbandian had a lot of chances to take the match and he didn't.
Ramblings of the easily amused:

Josh Gorges got asked a pile of random questions recently. I died laughing at a couple of them simply because I'm easily amused. My favorites were..

Q. If you were a professional tennis player, would you rather play doubles with Rafael Nadal or Anna Kournikova?

A. Kournikova, no question.

Q. If you had two hours to kill, would you rather watch Bride Wars on wide screen or have dinner with Mikhail Grabovski?

A. I’d watch the chick flick. I think having dinner with Grabovski would be a little too quiet.


While I agree that playing doubles with Kournikova could be more fun if you're a guy, I have to disagree completely with his choice of watching Bride Wars over having dinner with Grabovski. He should take Sergei Kostitsyn along with him and then it wouldn't be so quiet anymore *g* Could you imagine what that would be like.....

4 comments:

John said...

Oh no! Not Again Nalbandian! I thought he came to Melbourne with the right motivation. Look what happens. But I wont take anything away from Lu who was fantastic.

On the other hand, it was good to see Del Potro keeping up his good form. He could do no wrong as of now.

So what do you think about Canas against Gonzaloez?

http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com/2009/01/tennis-australian-open-nalbandian-out.html

Eternal Pessimist said...

I think Gonzalez will win. He wasn't exactly blindingly impressive against Hewitt and I doubt he'll be able to repeat the success he had two years ago in Melbourne... that being said, from what I've heard, Canas hasn't exactly been playing awe-inspiring tennis either lately so... I think Gonzalez looks to be in a better position to win but anything can happen.

Anonymous said...

Ahah! I love Gorges, he's my favourite hab. Always smiling, often funny, and yet a very good and relatively unnoticed player (if that's possible to be an unnoticed player in Montreal...)

And I compleely agree with you about Price and the All Star Game. I'm sure he will be fine though.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think I'm the only straight guy who doesn't see all that much appeal in Ms. Kournikova. Of Nadal or her, I'd pick Nadal because I'd want to win, but that choice might be very different indeed if it was one of the other WTA players.

Post a Comment