It's quiet...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Happens when you can't watch too much tennis and the Habs aren't playing. It's borrriiiiinggg..... *sniffles*

Things you should know anyway:

  1. The Fed won in straight sets. So much for Safin giving Federer a run for his money.... He'll play Berdych now because poor Stan couldn't beat him....
  2. Venus Williams and Ana Ivanovic got knocked out by relatively low ranked players. I saw some replays of Venus' match and I liked what I saw from her opponent Carla Suarez Navarro. I saw Suarez Navarro play today and I have to say she's pretty neat to watch. She's got a single backhand which you don't see too much from most players, she talks to herself like Djokovic and I had a reason why she reminded me of Nadal too but now I can't remember...I hope she does well in the tournament.
  3. Poor Muller got mauled by Del Potro. I was kind of hoping for something better from Muller but oh well....
  4. And you thought that the riots during the playoffs were bad here..... well, they still are and can't really compare to this but there were some rioting of sorts going on in Melbourne. Last year the event had a problem between fans from the former Yugoslavia. This year was not much different. After Djokovic played Amer Delic (who is Bosnian-American) fans started throwing stuff at each other outside the courts. Apparently one person was seriously injured after being hit by a chair.... Things had been heating up before when Marin Cilic took on Janko Tisparevic of Serbia earlier. After the riots here, I felt that it was just some people using the situation as an excuse to cause (creat?) havoc. People who do this type of thing don't represent the vast majority of the fans and they're bringing down the image of the whole event (and in our case, not just the playoffs, but the team and the city). I think it's the same thing in Melbourne. It's an excuse. The players don't hate each other. I know Cilic and Tipsarevic were both asking the crowd to calm down. The peeps at the Australian Open should be doing a better job with security here. They know from last year what could happen so it wasn't like they could say "hey, we weren't expecting that...." Please.... I've never heard of this happening in any of the other Grand Slams....
  5. The NHL has decided that it's fed of up guys pulling out of the All Star game so now they've come up with this rule that basically says if you don't at least show up to the event, you're going to get booted out of a game. While I see where Gary Bettman is coming from - I mean... while I guess it's nice for some people to see Martin St. Louis in the lineup, he's not exactly Sidney Crosby (who he just happens to be replacing) - I can see why players would want to skip it too. Ultimately I'd rather see a certain goalie stay out of the event(s!!!!) and spend the time recovering...

0 comments:

Post a Comment