Are we "just friends" now?

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dear Montreal Canadiens,

It's not even April or the post season and yet I have to question our relationship. It started off so great. I was infatuated with you, you were amazing, at first it seemed like you could do no wrong. You were freaking on top of the world man! And now that I've gotten to know you better, I'm not sure I like what I see from you. You seem lazier than I originally thought you were. You seemed less motivated than I thought you were. And you seem way less driven than I thought you would be. Also, you seem to have no more passion for the game left in you. You seem to be floundering away trying to figure out what's gone wrong and yet you seem unable to do anything about it. I lay awake at night wondering if I was wrong to spend money on you. I feel almost resentful and embarrassed by the amout of money that I've spent on you.

So guys, are we "just friends" now? I don't want to be "just friends" but I feel like I have no choice. Last night, it took all my effort just to sit there and watch you through two and a half hours of horrendous playing. It's been a long time since you've excited me and now I fear that you're starting to lose my interest too. I don't want that but what choice do I have? It's been so brutal watching you these days....

The thing is - and this is the sad part - it'll never be over between us. Never. Like a lot of people, I fear that we're stuck in some type of relationship for the rest of my life. I'll be like the girlfriend who can't leave the boyfriend even if he's a lazy jerk who can't get his act together. She tries to leave but always ends up going back to him when he makes promises that he'll change his ways. That's us, Montreal Canadiens. We're stuck together. Even if we go through a "just friends" period, we're not splitting. Judging from experiences by the Maple Leafs and the Rangers, that type of relationship is bad. But what can I say? Once a Habs fan always a Habs fan... even if you end up a very bitter one.

EP

Inspired by Habstwit's post which puts things better than I can http://is.gd/maxv

0 comments:

Post a Comment