Bob.... you're not desperate are you?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Look. I'm not going to bash Mathieu Schneider. I've never seen him play. I only found out that he existed last night. I don't know anything about him than he's rather ancient. But I have to ask the question.

Bob, is this a sign of weakness from you? I hate this ask this, but...Bob, are you in desperation mode right now?

Why did you just trade what will essentially come down to a second round draft pick for this guy? Yeah, the powerplay sucks majorly right now. But seriously, Bob.... Even if this guy saves our powerplay, I doubt he can single-handedly save our season. You're infinitely smarter than me when it comes to hockey, so surely you know this. Of course I can't read your mind, Bob, but to the rest of us mere mortals, this is looking like you just resorted to Plan K. Never mind Plan B. This looked like an act of desperation Bob. And that scares me.

Some of us mortals are wondering if the real reason why you brought in Schneider was because you wanted to show that you were doing something right now. They say that you wanted to appear to be doing something productive even if you basically just gave up what could be a valuable draft pick for a 39 year old guy who's going to essentially be a two month rental. Some of us think that you brought him in because you wanted to switch the focus away from Guy who quite honestly needs a long vacation. They say that you're just trying to distract us from the real problems going on. They're also saying that you're just trying to put a bandage on a gaping wound that's splurting blood from every direction with a tiny little band-aid.

Please tell me that this isn't the case.

I don't care that you didn't get Briere two years ago (especially considering he's been such a great model for the healthy hockey player this year). I don't care that you didn't get Hossa last year (he'd still be in Detroit this year). Heck, I don't even care that you didn't get Lacavalier either (oh wait, I didn't want him to begin with).

The thing that's saddening me right now is the apparent urgent need to change things up a bit in order to get the Habs going. If things had been going well up until now would you have gotten Schneider? If things had be going well right now would you be holding out for Kaberle? The problem is not necessarily that you got Schneider. The problem is the apparent reasoning behind it.

Bob. Please tell me that you're not in desperation mode. Please. Because if you're in desperation mode then the rest of us might as well go start drowning our sorrows in the beverage of our choice right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bagging Mathieu Schneider (with a name like that, how is it that he was born in New York?) is a fairly safe move to make. I mean, yes, he'll turn 40 in the off-season, but he's still a hell of a power play guy.

Desperation? That's when you start firing coaches. *sigh* Not that it didn't need to happen, but still.

Eternal Pessimist said...

I think it's more the fact that Gainey even felt the need to go out and get the guy that's depressing me a lot.....

And yeah, while Therrien was asking to get fired, it wasn't like Shero was replacing all the guys that split.....

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, something's happening!
Sergei Kostitsyn sent down to Hamilton, and Kovalev left out of a crucial road trip to "relax" and stay aay from the team...
Honestly I'd be shocked if kovy plays another game for Montreal at this point.

admin said...

Hey, how bout we give you Briere for Kovalev now? :)

Eternal Pessimist said...

Nooooo. I like Briere where he is right now (at home) =)

Post a Comment